Careers & Culture
Charles River Apparel is growing at an exceedingly fast pace and is starting to gain recognition as one of the nation's fastest growing apparel suppliers. The company prides itself on not only giving back to the community but also giving to its employees. Charles River Apparel has been listed as one of “Boston's Best Places to Work” by the prestigious Boston Magazine due to the level of benefits offered to employees and the overall satisfaction of its staff.
Charles River Apparel owes much of its success to their dedicated employees and that is one of the many reasons why the company offers a wide range of benefits including: a matching 401(k) plan, tuition reimbursement, a corporate bonus program, monthly free lunches and birthday celebrations, discounted gym membership, “Bagel Fridays” dependent/healthcare flexible spending accounts, comprehensive healthcare/dental insurance and even apparel discounts. The company’s corporate casual atmosphere is inviting and makes for both a productive and positive work environment.
We are always looking for intelligent, energetic and team-oriented people. Candidates that are interested in applying for open positions should email their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Charles River Apparel is also on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/in/charlesriverapparel.
Current Job Openings
As a key member of the leadership team, the Director, Human Resources is responsible for developing and executing a full range of HR services, initiatives and programs across the entire employee life cycle, with the goal of improving operational effectiveness, the employee experience, and the overall health of the business.
The Director, Human Resources will work collaboratively with the senior leadership team to establish key people initiatives and will serve as trusted advisor and coach to management and all other employees. This leadership role requires a “hands on” approach to tactically deliver on key HR projects and initiatives.
The person in this role is a champion of and helps to facilitate and promote a positive work environment and evolving culture at Charles River Apparel.
- The Human Resources Director establishes and executes priorities across all Human Resources functions including employee relations, compensation and benefits, performance management, organizational design, training and development, reward and recognition, payroll, safety and HR systems.
- Work as a trusted advisor to Charles River Apparel management to address a full range employee issues ranging from conflict resolution, performance and corrective action, organizational design, training and succession planning.
- Lead annual employee satisfaction survey process from survey development through deployment, analysis, results communication and action planning with the goal of increasing results YOY.
- Champion innovative culture initiatives to improve and reinforce the Charles River Apparel culture, including one of quality and service, and promote a positive workplace at CRA.
- Assess ongoing training needs and funding for employee population to ensure the growth and development of all CRA staff. Facilitate corporate training programs offered and monitor the effectiveness.
- Assess and manage the CRA employee benefits program and make recommendations to ensure marketplace competitiveness, cost effectiveness and compliance.
- Manage the full cycle annual performance review and merit increase/bonus process, including administrative of bonus and compensation plans.
- Partner with managers to facilitate performance management and coaching techniques and process is in place to ensure the development and retention of employees.
- Partner with finance and sales to develop a full range of compensation and incentive plans that align with business and employee performance goals.
- Develop and manage the full cycle recruitment process from selection through offer, and seek innovative ways to attract, select and retain top talent. Recruitment responsibilities include hands on recruitment activities for a wide range of positions.
- Foster a culture of giving back and volunteerism through employee engagement in programs related to Charles River Cares philanthropy and community activities.
- Serve as co-chair to cross functional employee committee with mission to offer employee activities around wellness, community and fun.
- Assess and promote the CRA reward and recognition to foster a culture of recognition and engagement.
- Participate as a member of the Safety Committee to ensure general safety and OSHA related standards and requirements are being met, and to promote a workplace of safety.
- Regularly review and assess legal and compliance requirements as it relates to ERISA, Federal and applicable state laws and develop personnel policies.
- Foster a high performance and accountability culture for all employees by helping to identify strengths and opportunities, competencies and skills, development areas, while also identifying measurable results.
- Coach and develop a team of 2 HR professionals.
Core Competencies & Experience
- 10+ years of well-rounded Human Resources generalist experience across all functions, with demonstrated success in employee relations and coaching.
- Experience in a distribution / warehouse setting and working with an outside national sales team preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate resolution of problems through effective leadership, influence, and collaboration to bring people together.
- Experience effectively coaching, guiding and influencing senior leadership.
- The ability to quickly connect and collaborate with people at all levels, synthesize and clarify information and complex people issues.
- Ability to draft clear, concise and relevant employee communications and collateral.
- Demonstrated experience in organizational development, management development and coaching, employee relations, compensation, benefits and performance management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in computer skills to include Word, Excel and Power Point.
- This role requires significant attention to detail and follow through in a high demand / high volume environment.
- Experience with ADP HRIS/Payroll
This position will be responsible for performing all warehouse functions. Ability to use radio frequency scanners and perform some tasks on a warehouse management system is preferred. Cross- training will be provided in order to perform major distribution functions including, but not limited to: picking and packing orders, processing returns, manifesting shipments using UPS and FedEx shipping system, receiving-in goods and replenishing picking locations.
- Learn and retain knowledge of ABS Warehouse Management System in order to perform duties
- Perform general warehouse activities
- Assist in maintaining a clean and safe facility
- Assist in loading and unloading trucks
- Work with Supervisor and co-workers to identify and solve order problems
- Prior “pick ’n pack” experience in a warehouse setting
- Required to lift 50lbs
- Computer Skills
- Ability to stand and walk for significant periods every day
- Understand written and verbal instructions
- High school diploma or GED preferred
In some cases, the position may be required to operate warehouse equipment, including forklifts, after receiving proper training.
Reporting to the Director of Distribution and Decoration services, this hybrid role drives improvements in the Charles River apparel decoration business by helping manage the deco customer service function, drive process improvements, deal with issue resolution and ensure a positive customer experience.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review and improve customer service policies and procedures
- Improve operational efficiency through systems improvements
- Handle and resolve more complex inquiries and complaints
- Present key manage information and metrics related to the Deco Operation
- Work closely with our sales reps and customers on feedback to improve operations
- Develop strong understanding of the Deco Order Cycle including both Charles River Apparel and Third Party Decorator Systems involved in the process.
- Manage and develop custom programs with customers including pricing, terms, lead times and program requirements.
- Manage custom pricing for large deco order opportunities outside of normal terms & conditions.
- Maintain periodic updates on CRA Deco competitors including pricing, lead times, minimums and other capabilities.
- Develop vendor scorecard for third party decorator partner (ESP).
- Produce and monitor CRA Customer Surveys on Deco performance and quality.
Critical Factors for Success:
- Ability to effective manage outsourced customer service group
- Strong skills managing people
- Demonstrated ability to analyze processes and recommend improvements
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong Analytical ability
- Ability to solve problems, be creative and improve processes
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workload
- Prior apparel decorating experience in Customer Service and Operations role.
- Intermediate level of proficiency with Excel and Microsoft Word
- 7+ years of business experience including reporting responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to liaise between customers, third party outsourced decorator, sales reps (both direct and indirect) and CRA management.
The Manager of Inside Sales will provide daily motivation, coaching and support to the Inside Sales Team, with the goal of driving and increasing sales revenue within the assigned accounts. Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer, the Manager will assist in developing the organization’s objectives and processes related to Inside Sales Best Practices. This role involves planning, coaching, training and motivating people, selling, leveraging technology, creating and improving selling processes.
- Consistently motivate the Inside Sales team by providing daily guidance, coaching, and training to excel on goals and targets.
- Ensure that our customer service and Inside Sales teams are fully-staffed with talented professionals that are well-trained, highly-motivated and focused.
- Develop and manage the documentation and training materials related to of all the Inside Sales processes and procedures including new hire training, job aids and tools (including scripts, product information, and technology guides).
- Establish key metrics for Inside Sales in order to monitor, motivate and drive performance.
- Monitor, document and report daily results, and prepare weekly, monthly and yearly analysis reports for senior management, while providing insights on sales trends, issues and progress.
- Work with IT to leverage and optimize the use of Salesforce.com to capture accurate data and provide a strong user experience for team members. This may include data cleanup and integrity related to serviced accounts.
- Actively engage in development of product knowledge for self and associated teams. Understand the competitive landscape and industry information.
- Communicate internally on competitive information, customer activities, plans and service issues.
- Develops, manages, and is accountable for Inside departments.
- Manages departmental operational metrics, performance measurements and resource plans. Reviews analysis of sales activities and forecast data to determine progress toward goals and objectives.
- Work with Finance and Human Resources to develop compensation and incentive “SPIFF” plans to motivate team on a regular basis and reward success.
- Must possess expertise in selling strategies and methodologies, strategic planning and execution, and employee motivation.
- Must demonstrate outstanding leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated leader who enjoys developing accounts at all levels and who thrives on generating new business while improving existing relationships.
- Proven track record of increasing sales.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate and inspire a sales organization and keep morale high.
- Exceptional, demonstrated, consultative, sales skills. Ability to craft a solution with services that meet business goals based on client discussions.
- Influence and motivate others, coach and develop, foster teamwork, steps up to address difficult issues, provides clear direction, and champions change.
- Highly analytical with the ability to track, report and understand sales drivers and trends.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Previous experience with technology-related to sales and customer service preferred. Knowledge of Salesforce.com or other CRM systems as well as experience with ERP systems.
- 5-7 years of Inside Sales management experience.
- Passion for diving into the details and providing crisp concise analysis on trends and performance.
- Expertise in Inside Sales metrics & team performance measurement.
- PC skills including Word, Excel, Power Point and experience with CRM systems and associated outputs/ reporting.
- Proficiency with Salesforce.com.
- Maintain strong relationships with existing customers to grow and nurture existing business.
- Create new business and sales growth via leads.
- Work with the Outside Territory Manager to proactively plan and execute regular structured sales visits within assigned territory, with primary focus on Strategic accounts in coordination with inside sales, ensuring that minimum quarterly and annual meeting targets are achieved.
- Make presentations to existing and potential customers and apply consultative selling techniques and make recommendations to prospects and clients on the various solutions CRA offers to fulfill their needs.
- Regularly communicate with the Outside Territory Manager to discuss customer plans opportunities to help grow territory.
- Follow internal process requests, including marketing services requests for all sales collateral needs.
- Execute all agreed to solutions with customer to include accurate, timely forecasting and detailed follow through
- Maintain contact with all clients to ensure only the highest level of customer satisfaction exists.
- Consistently and accurately document all sales activities and details in SalesForce
- Maintain subject matter expertise on all products and services offered by Charles River Apparel.
- Provide feedback to the design team regarding product success and suggestions for improvement.
- Support new product and line launches by promoting to new or potential customers.
- Requires travel within the territory 4/5 days per week and occasional Trade Show attendance.
- Must be comfortable on the phone. Be a self-starter that can work with little supervision and maintain a professional and upbeat attitude
- Ambitious, highly motivated, and innovative
- Understands how to initiate, manage and develop large and small company business, while possessing meticulous follow up and follow through.
- Candidate must be technology proficient and adopt all technology associated with the sales role. Inc Microsoft Office and working with CRM systems.
- Candidate must adhere to all company policies, procedures and code of ethics while representing the company in a professional and honest manner at all times.
- Bachelor’s degree and prior industry sales experience
- Proven track record of selling success with an ability to adapt to dynamic market segments.
- 2+ years of direct sales experience preferred calling on multiple accounts, focusing on sales development and relationships.
- Must possess excellent communication, presentation and negotiation skills with the ability to persuade and influence others.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, demanding & numbers driven environment while being able to think on your feet and be a creative problem solver.
- Must be willing to travel 4-5 days per week throughout the region on a regular basis. Frequent overnight travel may be required.
- Position requires constant lifting and handling of product line.